Friday, February 8, 2008

Pavlik, Jermain Taylor Rematch

When Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik meet on Feb. 16 in Las Vegas, Nev., it will be a rematch of one of the most exciting fights of 2007.

The 32-0 Pavlik stunned many by knocking out the 27-0 Taylor in the seventh round. Taylor, who was a 2000 Olympian, nearly stopped Pavlik in the second round of that fight. But Pavlik turned the tables and stunned Taylor.

Pavlik is a workmanlike fighter, who carries with him a big punch and a never say die attitude. There were probably many who thought Pavlik wouldn't make it big. In fact while Taylor was appearing on big shows, Pavlik was slowly but surely making his way to the top.

Now he's the champ and Taylor is the one that has had to readdress his career.

"It's not important that there is a title at stake," said Taylor during a recent national teleconference. "I just wanted to fight him again. I know I can beat the guy. I don't believe that a lack of title takes away any interest in the fight. The question is can he do it again or was he just lucky."

Taylor said he has thought about the second round of their first fight a few times. He had Pavlik seriously hurt, but just couldn't put the finishing touches.

"I underestimated Kelly," Taylor admitted. "I'm not trying to prove anything, this about me and going in there and making him look like nothing. I was beating him last time and I wasn't even at my best. If I get him in trouble again, I'll finish him, I'll put more punches together. The last time I didn't do what I needed to do."

Taylor has changed trainers for this fight, leaving world class trainer Emanuel Steward for longtime amateur trainer and advisor Ozell Nelson.

"I'm not dissatisfied with Emanuel," Taylor said. "He taught me a lot and I still use things he taught me. Me and Ozell know each other well and we're confident heading into this fight."

Added Nelson: "For this fight we are doing a lot of gut checking work, a lot of work on the bags. I want to make sure this time around that he will be in good shape and able to take Kelly out in the late rounds. He'll have the stamina to finish him. Emanuel Steward is a great trainer. We looked at Jermain last time and he was looking great. We all took Kelly lightly. Now we know Kelly comes to fight and this time we won't leave any stones unturned."

Taylor sounded focused, confident and willing to engage Pavlik in any type of fight that transpires on Feb. 16.

Taylor probably needs this fight more than Pavlik. A loss would diminish Taylor's marketability as a fighter and one would have to wonder about the confidence of Taylor if he lost again.

I expect Taylor to be in better shape and to fight a smarter, more conservative fight against Pavlik. He needs to stay out of Pavlik's punching range because the actual rise in weight could help Pavlik.

There are reports that Taylor struggled with the weight prior to the first fight and if that is the case, the six pounds should help.

"If he wasn't a great champion, Jermain wouldn't have taken the fight," said Taylor promoter Lou DiBella. "Jermain knew people wanted to see the fight. He never runs away from the challenge."

The Pavlik/Taylor rematch will be fun, but I expect Taylor to rebound and win a close, but unanimous decision.

— Felix

No comments: